Did we all wait too long to address this, can we really stop it or curtail it now? How? Do we make people feel stupid using it? I myself use 'so' early and often in writing, mentoring, speeches, videos, etc. Will I change? I don't think I will make it a big priority, but I probably will cut back a little. If people respond well when I use 'so' then its usage rewards me with better attentiveness of those I speak with. If more educated folks don't like it, I will see their disdain or negative micro-expressions and stop using it amongst that small group of people.
One magazine article suggested that those who use 'so' often are sabotaging their careers? Maybe so, I don't know, but no one can fire me, I work for myself, and I have information that no one on the planet knows, and so what I am saying is valuable, and if I use 'so' at the beginning of a sentence, those listening will have to deal with it, or leave, missing the information that only I know. I wonder if other people, speakers, gurus, etc, might feel the same way if we told them to cease and desist the misuse of this word?
In considering all this and listening to experts in our think tank; I am hereby concluding that "So" at the beginning of a sentence is the new norm for non-formal speech, and this dialogue should be ended now. A couple of reasons, first; "Discretion is often the better part of valor"; two, the very academics that play guardian over the language are using it now in abundance - it has become the norm. After having written 30,000 plus articles and some 10.5 million words I feel as if my conclusion is fair for all concerned - I am therefore making an executive decision on this and calling it; acceptable.
Indeed, many of us may not be happy with this judicial decision, but languages evolve for a reason, and this is one incremental step for good or bad, some might say devolution, however with more and more joining the English Speaking World, it is the right thing to do in the present period, period, EOD (end of discussion).
So, if someone wants to fight this, go ahead, and die trying. I am on the side of change, something we all must accept
No comments:
Post a Comment